Thursday, December 12, 2013

Spiritual Ablutions

O God, my Lord, help me use my two hands 
             to give and to receive, only for Your sake,
      and help me carry into this world 
                  what Your wisdom holds and Your love conceives;

O God, my Lord, help me speak words 
            and keep silences wherein You are remembered,
      and help me be ever grateful for Your mercies 
                  when I find delight in the bounties of this world; 

O God, my Lord, help me breathe each breath as my last, 
            mindful of my human frailty,
      and help me yearn for Your garden 
                  as I draw in the subtle fragrances of the earth;

O God, my Lord, help me see in the beauties of this world
            the signs of Your splendor,
      and help me remember, where I see imperfection, 
                  that only the heart sees the Perfect;

O God, my Lord, help me hear Your melodies 
            in the joys and sorrows of this world,
      and help me be an ear where no one listens, 
                  welcoming hearts to help them blossom;

O God, my Lord, help me be cheerful and kind, 
            that Your face be seen through mine,
      and help me make of my face a refuge 
                  from the stern indifference of other faces;

O God, my Lord, help me use the strength of my arms 
            to hold and to build for Your sake,
      and help me provide for, and safeguard 
                  those You have placed under my protection;

O God, my Lord, help me use my intelligence 
            with the humility of one mindful of You,
      and help me discern Your truth from falsehoods, 
                  that I may be attuned with the Real;

O God, my Lord, help me tread my destined path, 
            that may I be useful to Your creation,
      and help me stand for what is beautiful and good, 
                  only for Your sake, O God, my Lord.

No comments: